Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Awry

How would you say this word?

AW-Re?

or

a-RYE?

Please excuse my poor phoneticisms. I have only noticed recently that I may have been mispronouncing to myself it as I read and write. Luckily, I don't think I have actually used it in conversation, which has prevented a replay of the Unfortunate Faucet Incident of '95:

(Small Dev is a Sophomore in High School, and has just finished the first night of Little Shop of Horrors at school, in which she plays pretty much nothing. In a stroke of strange luck, a SENIOR in the play who lives near her asks if she would like to go get ice cream with her and her friends-- SENIORS!-- and then get a ride home. While at ice cream a Senior Boy comes over to talk to Dev, who tries not to reveal that this was actually a Terrible Idea, and that she wants to go home and watch Aladdin with her eleven year old sister.)

Senior Boy: Hey.
Dev: -Gulp- Hi.
SB: Uh, nice job in the play. Your character was really complex.
Dev: -Actually manages to laugh, and relaxes enough to make an effort at sarcasm- Oh, yes. Incredibly multi-fauceted.

Criiiiiiinge.

Later in the play's run, I knocked the kid playing Seymour off the stage with a scrim during his big singing-monlogue in the second act. It was a good three days.

4 Comments:

Blogger TooBlue said...

*lol* It's a-RYE, as in "I would like my pastrami a-RYE, thank you Gladys."

And all of your acting (up, out, and on Halloween) is ALWAYS multifacueted. Bwahahahahaha.

6:27 PM  
Blogger dev said...

Ha. I am totally going to order my pastrami like that next time. That is, the next time I am back in the land where you can get pastrami. On a rye.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Mart said...

Can I throw a spanner into the works and say that I'd pronounce it "AW-RYE"? ;)

5:14 PM  
Blogger dev said...

Like you are jive-speaking 'alright', but without the t at the end? As in:
'Hey, brothah, how you?'
'Yo, foo. I is aw-rye.'
Cool.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home